Safety Data Sheet writing sequence
The sequence for writing Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) is as follows:
- Obtain full CLP classification, any EUH hazards, and labelling information for the substance or mixture, https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/clp-knowledgebase/the-clp-classification-sequence/ , https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/knowledgebase_category/euh-statement-classification/ and https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/clp-knowledgebase/clp-labelling-sequence/
- If the product is not classified for CLP, check whether an SDS is required for other reasons, e.g. contains an SVHC, holds a Workplace Exposure Limit etc, see https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/clp-knowledgebase/products-requiring-sdss/
- If you have purchased a REACH registration:
- ensure the substance identifiers information matches the REACH identifiers
- use data from the dossier to put into the relevant sections of the SDS (e.g. physico-chemical data)
- If the substance has a Chemical Safety Report, this information needs to go into the Annex
- If you have not purchased a REACH registration, obtain physico-chemical data for your product
- Review how the material is used and handled, on your site and for your downstream users. If you are not a COSHH expert, it can be useful to talk to people who are, e.g. your Health and Safety manager
- Fill in the appropriate pro forma SDS (if manual compilation), or use SDS authoring software
- Have the SDS translated, if required
- Issue the SDS to all new purchasers, and everyone who has purchased the product within the last 12 months, see https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/clp-knowledgebase/issuing-safety-data-sheets-to-users/ .
- Keep all your notes and workings and versions of the SDS for 10 years from the date of last supply of the product
You must update the SDS “without delay”. when certain specific new information comes to light, and re-issue a copy to everyone who has purchased the product within the the last 12 months. See https://ttenvironmenta.wpengine.com/clp-knowledgebase/issuing-safety-data-sheets-to-users/ for more details.