About published CLP classifications

Published CLP substance classifications

There are several reasons for using published CLP substance classifications:

  • If you are reselling a substance from within the EU, you should use the CLP classification information provided by your supplier.
  • If you make or import a substance with a Harmonised Classification, you must classify the harmonised hazards in accordance with the Harmonised Classification, and self-classify or any other hazards present
  • If you make or import a substance you have registered for REACH, you must use the same classification as the dossier
  • If you make or import a substance which you have not registered for REACH and which does not hold an Harmonised Classification, you may still want to view the available information, whether in any REACH dossier, or in the Classification and Labelling inventory
  • If you import a mixture from outside the EU, you may need to find the CLP classifications for its component substances.

CLP classifications for substances are published in several places, both in print/ pdf, and in online searchable databases on the ECHA website.  These are:

  • within the CLP regulation itself (Harmonised Classifications only)
  • in the REACH dossier database (REACH dossier CLP classifications only)
  • in the Classification and Labelling Inventory (Harmonised Classifications, REACH dossier CLP classifications and C&L Inventory notified classifications)

Using these published substance classifications is perfectly acceptable, although some published classifications are more reliable than others.  The published CLP substance classifications may require some extra information to be added for completeness.

CLP classifications for substances also appear on supplier SDSs, and these can be a useful source of information where a substance has not been registered for REACH.

Where you have several published CLP classifications to choose from, it is important to keep your notes on what these classifications are, and how you have decided to choose a particular one.  This forms part of the classification record, and should be retained for a minimum of 10 years after the date of last supply of the chemical.  It also enables you to go back and review the classification, e.g. if any of the published classifications change as new information comes to light.

Published CLP mixture classifications

If you are reselling a mixture within the EU, you should use the classification given you by your supplier.

It is unlikely that you will find other published classifications for a mixture you have made yourself, unless you happen to know that the formulation is the same as another company.  Even then, you may still want to classify the mixture yourself, in case the other company has made a mistake, or there are differences between the two formulations.

If you are using someone else’s mixture in your own mixture, you should receive an SDS with CLP classification on it from your supplier.  In this case, you can either treat their mixture as if it were a component substance in your mixture, and use their CLP classification; or you can use the data on their SDS about the hazardous components to calculate the percentage of those components in your mixture, and classify on that basis, which is generally more accurate.

Leave A Comment

Access to the CLP Knowledgebase is restricted to people who have completed our CLP training course in person or online (coming soon), or other competent professionals. For more information on our next live training course, or to request access to the CLP Knowledgebase, please email us.
Access the CLP Knowledgebase
Sign InSign In